Tuesday, June 30, 2009

cake!

First up this past weekend was the cake. We've had this meeting set up for months now and got really lucky with who we ended up finding. Sammantha was a complete accident- I honestly am not even really sure how I ended up finding her. But I really liked the look of her cakes and she seemed to add a little something to them that all of the others I had looked at lacked. Plus, her prices were pretty amazing too.

Because it's our family, we show up to our meeting 15 minutes late, but we were rewarded with amazingggg cake flavors of goodness. We tried 5 different flavors of cake and a variety of fillings (all of which were quite delicious) and Adam started right in on his groom's cake.

I swear, this is the most excited that I have seen this boy about any aspect of the wedding- and it was cake!! He is modeling his groom cake off of his car, and for those of you who dont know, he's got one of those spiffy Mustangs that he likes to work on and add things to. Anywho, him and Sammantha came up with a bunch of different elements to the car cake and I can't believe how detailed it is to make a cake!! They talked about airbrushing colors and sculpting the sides and hand painting details and hand creating detailed wheels from molding chocolate- it was sounding like they were building a real car and not a 12 inch long cake! In any case, they talked about that for probably an hour (not even kidding) while my mom and I ate random combinations of cake and fillings before we finally got to the actual wedding cake.

I'm very undecisive, and Adam didnt really care, so I figured we were in for a load of trouble designing this cake, but luckily it was relatively painless. Sammantha luckily seemed to know what she was doing, and came up with some fun ideas and after another couple hours we had come up with a cake design that was really unlike anything I figured going into it. But I love it- and she is sketching a colored and pretty picture for me and scanning it in sometime soon, so I will have to post that to give a better idea, but it's fun and fall and different, so it really matches us- HA!

As for flavors, we ended up with a 4 tiered cake, also something I hadnt expected, but it just looked really nice in the picture and this way we were able to have all of our favorite flavor combinations! The top tier, which we will save, is strawberry with a strawberry filling, Adam and I's favorite. But because we wanted everyone ELSE to get to taste the strawberry as well, Adam did the groom's cake in strawberry too.

Then the next tier is for the chocolate lovers- after much debate we decided on a chocolate cake with two layers of chocolate mouse filling seperated by a filling of Oreo cookie cheesecake flavoring. Mmmm. So 3 layers of chocolatey goodness!

Next up is my personal fave- a lemon cake with a strawberry filling. It sounds like a strange combination, but it was absolutely DELICIOUS! It combined that sweet flavor of the strawberry with the lemon flavor and mmmmm. I'm very excited for that flavor.

Then the largest layer on the bottom we went pretty safe, picking the rich butter flavor but we paired it with a raspberry filling. It's super yummy and will probably make the most people happy (unless, of course, they arent raspberry fans!).

Then we are also having her make some of her cream cheese mints for the dessert bar, and these I am really excited for. She is going to make them shaped like mini-leaves and have them colored in our wedding and fall colors. I think that will look so neat up there on the table, and she claims they are a huge hit, so I am excited there!

So I am excited. It turned out to be a bit more than what I wanted to spend, but I know it will be beautiful and yumy and since it's bigger than we anticipated, we know we will have leftovers, which means we will get to eat all of the flavors after getting back from the honeymoon! Plus, Sammantha seems like a really nice person who actually likes what she does. We are one of her last weddings she is doing, she is taking a break to head back to school but still doing birthday cakes and whatnot on the side, so we did get insanely lucky with her.

Yay for cake goodness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me

I'm a newlywed with a love for the little things in life- sipping a cappuccino at a local coffee shop in the sunshine, art that seems to make no sense, the smile my husband gets sometimes when I catch him watching me, the cool breeze in the fall when the leaves are changing, my dog when she has somehow manages to wedge herself under my hand and I find myself petting her unknowingly, the smell of freshly cut grass, the sounds of the ocean, taking photos of instances you can never get back. I feel too much about things but may not always say it. I adore my mother. You'll find I take a lot of pictures. La vita รจ bella.